Saturday, April 15, 2006

The Misfits


Although they borrowed the band name from the movie title of America's most memorable blonde beauty, the Misfits have cleared a path for dark, evil and ugly that has permiated the music scene around the world for almost thirty years. With arguably some of the most distinguished and influential styles in the punk rock genre, the Misfits created horror punk and set into motion such sub-species as "hardcore" and psychobilly. Picking up the torch that was ignited by the Ramones, the Misfits have wrecked havoc with their aggressive sound, bane looks and retro-horror lyrics. To behold this incursion of devil-locked and leather clad quartets' (now trio) assault on syncopation, is to be in the presence of greatness. My good friend Mark of Exclamation Mark's B Movie Reviews fame, has devoted countless hours of research and enjoyment to pay homage to one of his favorite childhood hobbies/interests... the classic (and often campy) sci-fi/horror show. The Misfits have consecrated their lives to it. You need only to listen to a few chords before you are either utterly disgusted or a life-long fan. I must admit, that it has been a long time since I've slowed down long enough to take in an entire album/CD with the sole intent of enjoying it from beginning to end. But, the other night I did just that. I went to the basement of my house, turned off all the lights, and just blared Static Age, Walk Among Us, American Psycho and Project 1950. It did not rectify my passion for the Misfits. It ravished my exigency of youth and happiness. I realize that I probably share these feelings with a select few, as far as musical choice. But I challenge anyone who reads this blog to seek out what stirs you and really makes you appreciate life.

6 Comments:

Blogger Elly said...

Cool site, Clay! I like the black w/ small white lettering. It's simple but catches your eye. I think I can predict the next post: Dixie Chicks.

6:40 PM  
Blogger Eismann said...

Ahhh, the Dixie Chicks. Why yes, they rank somewhere between Linda Ronstadt and Tom Scholz.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Eismann said...

Oops, I almost forgot... thanks for stopping by Elly!

1:53 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

We played Mommy Can I Go Out and Kill Tonight? at our reception. It was our first dance togehter as man and wife.

Ok, I'm lying. We played Etta James At Last. A good choice, I think.

8:45 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Well, I see you're still enjoying The Misfits. I'm not sure how many more times I can read this post.

Thanks to linking to my sites, by the way. My readership is way up!

Your pal,

Mark. Exclamation Mark.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Eismann said...

Yeah, well anything I can do to assist. I promise I'll be postingsomething on my mini vacation. Maybe even a western review!?!

9:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home